House Plants that Are Poisonous for Your Pets - By: Jared Wright
Potted plants are a common sight in houses and apartments everywhere, but most pet owners are completely unaware that their plants and gardens could be a death trap for their pets. Poisonous plants are everywhere, and the only way to keep a pet safe is to know what they are and their symptoms.
Cyclamen - This five petal flower is usually accompanied by rounded or arrow-like leaves that can be very toxic for dogs. The whole plant is toxic to dogs in generally, however the most poisonous part is the roots. You may notice your dog having intestinal issues and may vomit violently.
Tulips - This spring favorite can be very dangerous for a dog. The real threat is the bulb, which contains a toxin that will irritate a pet's bowels. From the start, your pet might lose interest in his food. This toxin could also depress your pet's central nervous system, causing convulsions or even cardiac arrest.
Lilies - These garden staples are most toxic to cats. Severe kidney damage is likely to result if your cat ingests its toxin, though the chemical to blame has not yet been identified.
Azaleas - Commonly found in many gardens, these plants could cause pets to go into coma in serious cases. Less severe poisoning will result in drooling and loss of appetite and may depress your pet's central nervous system.
Hibiscus - This common houseplant can lead to loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, and general nausea in your pet.
Autumn Crocus - The autumn crocus is a death sentence for a pet. Ingestion can lead to serious organ damage, vomiting and diarrhea, possibly bloody, and could suppress bone marrow functions.
Chrysanthemums - These flowers are pretty popular and can be found both outdoor and indoor. They can cause serious gastrointestinal upset, excessive drooling and diarrhea. Occasionally, ingestion of this plant can lead to depression.
Apples and Apricots - It is shocking for many owners to realize that apples can in fact be very toxic for pets. While the fruit itself is safe, the seeds, stems, and leaves all have a form of the poison cyanide in them. Symptoms will include difficulty breathing, bright red mucous membranes, and shock.
Begonia - Begonias contain chemicals known as insoluble oxalates that will cause your dog or cat's mouth to burn. They may find it difficult to swallow their food.
Yucca - Popular in desert climate, this plant can cause serious bouts of vomiting and diarrhea. Fortunately, it's pointy enough that most pets give it wide berth.
Chamomile - This plant, often cultivated for teas or as a calming agent, is home to a whole host of chemicals dangerous to your pet. Simply brushing against it will give your dog dermatitis, and ingestion can lead to anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, and bleeding.
Avocado - Eating avocados can cause mild poisoning which lead to vomiting and diarrhea.
Garlic - If your pet eats garlic in big quantities, then it might be time to head for the vet's office. Too much garlic can result in hemolytic anemia, a condition whereby your pet's red blood cells are being broken down. You will also notice vomiting, weakness, possibly bloody urine, and a very fast heart rate.
Burning Bush - Taken in large dosage, the toxin from this bush can cause the heart problems, leading to abnormal heart beat rhythm. In smaller dosages, expect weakness, vomiting and diarrhea, and intense abdominal pain.
Grapefruit - The toxins of this plant, found mostly in the leaves and rind of the fruit can lead to light sensitivity, depression, and vomiting/diarrhea.
Daffodils - This common garden flower is immensely toxic to dogs and cats. Ingestion can cause diarrhea, vomiting, convulsions, arrhythmia and low blood pressure. Common as they are, it's very important that your pet stay away.
The above list is definitively not exhaustive and is only a collection of the common plants that are harmful to pets. If you intend to start planting new plants in your garden, it would be advisable to take some time to research the new plants first. Many are mildly toxic to dogs, though some can cause serious internal damage or death.
Article Source : https://articlebliss.com/
Author Resource : Do you know that a puppy is not able to control her bladder for more than 8 hours before she reaches four months old? To find more resources about canine dog training(http://www.caninetouch.com/category/training/) and other canine dog breeds(http://www.caninetouch.com/category/breeds/), visit CanineTouch.com today.